Monday, February 25, 2008

February 25th

Today. Today was not such a good day. Today I lost my Uncle, my dear, beloved Uncle. Words cannot explain the hole I feel in my heart. It bleeds sadness, and yet sighs with relief. He is at peace now - no more pain, no more drugs, no more dozing off when he doesn't really want to. And yet I miss him so already.

Had this disease not taken over his body, I cannot say that I would know him as I do today. This day, the day my Grandfather was born so many years ago. More than a bit ironic, don't you think?

I dread this week. I dread facing my family, facing his friends, facing him for one last time. The last time I talked to him was February 14th. Eleven days for which I feel ashamed and guilty for not calling him. I was afraid I would wake him up. I was afraid that he wouldn't be able to speak. I just hope in my heart that he read the letter I left for him in January. I hope he knows how much I love him so, and that I am forever his daughter by blood.

I hope you are at peace, Uncle Sonny. I will try to make you proud in whatever I do.

No comments: